Sunday, April 6, 2014

Two Months Old with LOTS of Updates!

Hi, everyone!

Sorry for the recent delay in updates . . . Max's dad and I have been a little sleep deprived which has caused us to be a little scatterbrained.

Pictured: Jon and me
Max turned two months old on Thursday! And then as of yesterday, he's been home for a month already. I can't believe how quickly the time has flown by. Pretty soon, he'll be applying to college and trying to move out of the house (which will be difficult considering I will be hanging on to his foot like dead weight).

Over the last couple weeks, Max has had several appointments at the hospital with various therapists. First, we met with the speech therapist who is checking on Max's progress with feeding orally. She was completely blown away by the fact that he is free of his NG tube and that he's doing so well and has been taking all of his food and meds by mouth for weeks. She watched him take a bottle to make sure he was eating properly and then scheduled an appointment with us in a month just to follow up on his progress. However, if he's still doing as well as he is at our follow up, we'll probably discontinue speech therapy unless we encounter any feeding issues.

The day after speech therapy, we met with an occupational therapist to see how Max is doing with hitting his developmental milestones. Again, he did extremely well and at seven weeks, he'd already hit all of his eight week milestones (because it's not enough for this kid to survive a transplant, he also has to be an overachiever). She mentioned that his left shoulder seemed a little stiff from surgery but it was an issue we were already aware of. The therapist gave us a few simple stretches we can do to help loosen up his shoulder but other than that, she said he looked good. We'll probably have a follow up with her in about a month or so as well.

This week, we also met with a physical therapist. It was kind of difficult to get Max to wake up for that appointment because he was in a really deep sleep but when we did, she was very happy with his progress so far. She gave us a few more suggestions about working with his tight shoulder as well as some advice about tummy time (since he wasn't able to lay on his chest for so long) but overall, she was very impressed. She was even more impressed when he told her that Max had rolled over from his back to his front--apparently most babies don't do that until they're 5-7 months old (they usually roll front to back first).

Max is moving along well with his milestones and really doesn't seem like he's behind in development which was a big concern for us, so we're happy he's doing so well.

We've also been in to the heart clinic for his checkups and he's continuing to exceed expectations. In fact, he's doing so well that we're going to move to only having clinic visits every other week. Not only are we stoked because this means he's doing well, but we also don't have to go to the hospital all the time. We love the doctors and nurses but there are a lot of other people there who don't cover their mouths when they cough.

My only problem with this picture is the lack of a face mask.

Max is doing so well right now and we couldn't be happier. The best part is, as of this week, Max is completely wire free! He was on a remote heart monitor since leaving the hospital to watch for any episodes of tachycardia but his heart rhythms have been perfect so we got to lose what we nicknamed his "battery pack" this week!

This is the first time since birth that Max has been totally tube and wire free so we're thrilled that he just looks like a baby now.

In other news, Jon and I are going to try and update the blog's appearance. We're going to be experimenting with different layouts and backgrounds to try and find one that fits the best and we've recently changed the web address to (but if you type in the old blogger address, it'll redirect to the new one). More to come, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment